If you don’t know who Celeste Barber is, we suggest you head on over to her Instagram account and start following her right now. That is, if you have a sense of humor.
We all know what it’s like when you finally take that half-decent selfie, only to start scrolling through your Instagram feed and begin comparing yourself to all those perfect celebrity selfies. What seemed like a nice picture of yourself to post suddenly doesn’t seem like such a good idea anymore. It tends to happen a lot because these days everything we see online has been photoshopped, slapped with a couple of filters and set up to perfection. Basically, it isn’t real.
Luckily, we have Celeste Barber to remind us of just how unrealistic these selfies really are. Once you see her try to recreate these selfies you compared yourself to, you’ll remember that unless you have the perfect photographer, an immaculate wardrobe and a face that never looks bad (see: no one), it’s absolutely impossible to be that perfect.
1. Who else could make cooking look this carefree and easy other than Chrissy Teigen? Celeste Barber provides a more accurate representation of regular people cooking.
2. Bella Hadid somehow makes this awkward pose look natural. Barber shows us how strange this photo really is when you start to think about what your neighbors would say if they saw you drop down on your lawn and start a random photoshoot.
3. Another picture where if you really look at it, you start to just wonder why. Like, why does Kim Kardashian make posing next to garbage look appealing? No idea.
4. If you want to see a plethora of pictures that would look absolutely terrible with anyone else in them, see: Emily Ratajkowski. Aside from everything that makes it easier for celebs to look good in pictures, Ratajkowski is just one of those lucky people who are actually photogenic. How else could you explain how she manages to make standing in shrubbery while holding a lemon seem artistic? Strangely, it’s Barber’s version that resonates more with me.
5. Kendall Jenner is another Emily Ratajkowski, and Barber is all of us attempting to recreate their look.
6. Here’s Victoria Beckham, queen of making the leg lift look absolutely girl boss. No one actually stands like that, but Barber looks pretty fierce doing it.
7. Yeezy might be casual athleisure clothing for Kim Kardashian, but I don’t know how well it works for the rest of us running our everyday errands.
8. Miley Cyrus shows off her unfair advantage in this photo; because how else can anyone get their hair to look that glam without a fan? Celeste Barber attempts to recreate this look but her makeshift fan just doesn’t seem to have the same effect…
9. People like to joke about Gwyneth Paltrow’s squeaky-clean, picture-perfect image ever since the creation of Goop and this is just one example. Paltrow looks flawless in a pile of mud, but us regular people? Barber’s is a little more accurate.
10. It’s crazy how Rosie Huntington-Whiteley can look so stunning in this picture that you barely notice she’s wearing clothes in a pool. Once you see that turtleneck on Barber, you realize how ridiculous anyone else would look doing this.
11. The caption says it all for this one.
12. The Kardashians are pretty much the epitome of unrealistic pictures and compared to their usual choices, this one’s relatively low-key. I just liked Celeste Barber’s twist on the shameless sponsored products celebrities love to showcase while pretending to look like everyone else, like this one with Kourtney Kardashian casually holding a blender.