Boy gets a cut and dies days later, after doctors miss a small detail in the wound

Children end up hurting themselves all the time when they play, especially when they take things a little too far.

Usually, it’s nothing serious other than a scratch or a few tears, sometimes all that’s needed is a band-aid or little affection.

Something unthinkable happened to one woman when her son took what she thought, was just a simple fall.

Eight-year-old Liam was out riding his bike near home when the fall happened.


The youngster ended up in the emergency room after he suffered a deep wound to his thigh following the unfortunate fall from his bike.

In order to stitch him up, the doctors had to cut through this jeans.

It wasn’t a big deal for Liam as he was a tough little cookie.

Once he was stitched up, they were told they could head back home again.

Liam loved playing on the family farm and helping to feed the animals, he was a typical 8-year-old that loved his family.

This was an accident Sara never thought would turn into such a tragedy.

Liam started complaining about an intense pain in his groin a few days after the accident.

The wound looked off-color, almost like gangrene when Sara and Liam’s stepfather, Scott, looked at the scar.

Liam was rushed to the car and brought back to the emergency room, where doctors soon realized that his wound was badly infected.

The diagnosis was an infection called necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as ‘flesh-eating disease’, which had more than likely entered the wound through the soil.

Liam was flown to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland after surgeons tried to remove the infected parts of his body.

After arriving in Portland doctors worked intensively to try to save Liam’s life.

Bacteria continued to spread and physicians continued to remove the infected parts of Liam’s body.

Despite all the operations and interventions the bacteria still continued to spread.

Liam was eventually transferred to Randall Children’s Hospital as kept going downhill, there another team would review him.

But to his family’s disbelief, Liam sadly passed away that night.

Baffled as to how a wound could result in the death of their son, the family are stricken with sadness and grief.

This infection can spread so quickly Sara hopes her story will be a warning to other parents.

“He was a strong radiant sunbeam, he loved everyone and everyone loved him. He was such a person who entered a room and everyone went to him.” remarks his mum.