Women between the ages of 18 and 30 who walked at least four hours a week were 44 percent more likely to lose weight during the 15 years they were tracked than those who didn’t walk at all — regardless of what other exercise they did, according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
To hit that magic 240-minute-a-week total, follow this simple plan created by Malin Svensson, a walking and fitness expert in Los Angeles. You’ll not only burn off 1,300 calories this week but also firm up trouble zones that your average stroll ignores.
Aim to rack up at least 45 minutes of walking on most days.You’ll melt about 240 calories in each 45-minute session as you “sculpt from abs to calves and build more push-off power,” says Svensson, author of Nordic Walking, who puts her clients through this shape-up.
You should make 2000 steps in one mile in order to burn calories and lose weight. You can burn 100 calories in one mile.
- 1 Mile = 2.000 steps and 100 calories burned
- 1 Pound – 3.500 calories
- Losing 1 Pound of weight weekly = 500 calories daily
- You will need to have 10.000 steps on a daily basis in order to lose 1 pound in a week
Tips For Walking When You Have a Busy Day
If 10.000 steps seem too much walking (you can start slowly and lose less weight and then increase the number of steps to 10.000)
- Walk with your children to school
- You can walk to the station and forget about taking a taxi or a bus
- Don’t use the bus always, you can walk to your home or work, or you can simply get off the bus on the halfway of your destination
- Never use the elevator, instead take the stairs.
- Don’t park your car on the destination where you need to get, park it somewhere far away and take a walk
How to Make it More Interesting
- Change your routines and make it as exciting as you can.
- The cold weather during the winter mustn’t be an obstacle for you. You can buy a treadmill and watch your favorite TV show or movie while walking.
- Walk in different places, parks, neighborhoods, or listen to the music you like, it will give you motivation and more energy to finish what you started.
- If you are using the same track every day, at the same time, it will become a very boring routine. Change the track and your habits often.
How Often Should You Walk
First, you should consult your doctor for an advice, in order to tell you if you are healthy enough to stand this activity.
Once your doctor approved, you should first walk three days in a week for 15-20 minutes. Then, step by step you should raise the walking routine until you walk 30-60 minutes every day of the week.
You will find that this is the easiest and the best way to lower your weight without any particular diet regime.